Navigation and service

Content

Monday, 12. March 2012

Afghanistan

Troops will be withdrawn by 2014 says the Chancellor

During her visit to Afghanistan, Chancellor Angela Merkel confirmed that German troops will be withdrawn by 2014. She had just visited the Federal Armed Forces base at Mazar-i-Sharif to find out first hand from the soldiers stationed there about their mission.

The Chancellor landed in sleet in Mazar-i-Sharif.open popup Angela Merkel visits German troops in Afghanistan Photo: Bundesregierung/Kugler

The withdrawal date has been agreed at international level said the Chancellor. Most recently the date was reconfirmed at the Afghanistan conference held at the end of last year in Bonn. "The hand-over phase is in full swing," declared Angela Merkel.

Commemorating the soldiers who have fallen

At the start of her visit the Chancellor paid her respects to the soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan at the memorial.

Condolences for murdered civilians

From the base, Angela Merkel conversed by telephone with Afghan President Hamid Karzai. She extended her condolences for the murder of civilians by a US soldier at the weekend. The Chancellor described it as a "dreadful act".

Afghan government must stabilise the country

This year, Germany has pledged Afghanistan up to 240 million euros in development aid. Of this total, 65 million euros has already been released. "The Afghan government holds the key to stability and development".  Federal Development Minister Dirk Niebel, also currently in Afghanistan, is quite convinced of that.

Service